Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS)
The Site Management Training Scheme (SMSTS) is a course accredited by the Construction Industry Training Board (CITB). It’s the nationally recognised standard for the management of health and safety on construction sites.
- Fully online/remote via Microsoft Teams
- 5-day course – 9am to 5pm – every Monday
- Only £400.00 excl. VAT including exam resit if required
- Led by a CITB qualified instructor
- The exam has 18 multiple choice questions and 7 short written questions
- CITB Construction Skills Site Safety Plus Certificate Awarded
- Valid for 5 years
About the Course:
The training is entirely online, so you can do it on a day that suits you without having to leave your own home and the course price is £400 excl. VAT, but you can claim money back from the CITB. For more information on the CITB funding, you can visit our blog.
The course lasts for 5 days and once you have sat through the course you will have an exam at the end. The exam is made up of 18 multiple choice questions and the minimum pass rate is 81%.
What does an SMSTS course cover?
The SMSTS course covers all managerial responsibilities you would expect to take on in your new or current role such as:
- Legal and management expectations
- Managing health and welfare
- General safety and site organisation
- Managing high-risk activities
How many questions are there in the SMSTS exam?
The exam paper is made up of 18 multiple choice questions and seven, short written questions. The seven short written questions all relate to the seven health and safety focus areas. The pass mark for the exam is 81%.
How many days is the SMSTS course?
The SMSTS course is a five-day course. You’re required to take a 2-day refresher course (SMSTS-R) after 5 years.
Can you do an SMSTS course online?
Yes, the course will cover the same modules as it would if it was carried out face-to-face and it will be led by a CITB-qualified instructor.
What happens if you fail the SMSTS?
If you fail the SMSTS exam but achieved above 72% you can be offered an immediate re-sit which you can take on the same day. However, should you fail the re-sit, you will need to take the full SMSTS course again.